Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Sleep Apnea

I've started using my CPAP again. (sigh)
I started using it again for a combination of reasons.

  • My Dr. tells me, and tells me, over and over again to use it. Even threatening that if I'm not using my CPAP my insurance may not continue to allow me sleep apnea medication. 
  • Then there's the not feeling good. Having the don't want to's. Not having any energy. Plus gaining weight from eating when I'm tired.
  • And the reason that worked best was "because my mom told me to".
I've only used my CPAP for two nights now and I already feel better. Imagine that! I have been so stubborn about using it, that it's been years since I used it last. I had to wipe the dust off when I got it out again. I wish I could remember if I was using it when I lost 35 lbs.  Weight loss would be the greatest reward for wearing that stupid mask.






Beautiful isn't it!








Now I'm wondering if my son needs to be tested.  I notice several of the symptoms with him.  Not as many or as sever as mine. (Thank God!) I just wish he could quit having headaches and could quit always being tired.  Plus, males are 3 times more likely to have sleep apnea.

Here are some symptoms of sleep apnea:
  • Not feeling rested after a night's sleep
  • Feeling sleepy during the day
  • Waking up with a headache
  • Stop breathing in your sleep
  • Nearly always snore or often snore loudly
  • Gasp or choke while sleeping
  • Toss and turn during the night
  • May have problems paying attention during the day
  • Have trouble concentrating
  • Memory problems
  • Lose the desire for sex
Here are some possible serious health problems of not treating sleep apnea:
  • High blood pressure
  • An abnormal heart rhythm
  • Heart failure
  • Coronary artery disease
  • Stroke
  • Depression / Anxiety
  • Diabetes
Even knowing these horrible health risks, they didn't break my stubborn streak. Now that I've relented to wearing my CPAP again, I will try to be diligent. I think not only myself, but my family, deserves a healthier me.

May you all have a good night's rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment